Pardon my bad photos. I wasn't really planning on doing a post today, but my sweet tooth with a very violent chocolate craving hit me out of nowhere and I decided to try my hand at some low carb brownies a la microwave. I'm pleased to say that they were really, really good!
This is a smaller recipe with just three servings, so you'll either want to bake it up in individual dishes like ramekins or use a small baking dish (mine was 4x6). This one from Corningware is perfect. A small baking dish like this is versatile and very useful in the kitchen anyway (not to mention cheap!), so if you don't have one, it's good to have at least one.
Baking and prep of these great brownies takes only about three minutes, so even if you're short on time, there's no excuse to cheat! They're really great too, I swear. They keep well at room temperature as well, not that you'll need to keep them around that long!
Three Minute Microwave Brownies
- 1/3 C almond flour
- 2 T oat fiber (or 1 T coconut flour)
- 2 T + 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 C Swerve (or your choice of granulated sweetener)
- 2 T butter, softened (or 2 T melted coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 C unsweetened almond milk, half & half or heavy cream
- 2 T sugar free chocolate chips or finely chopped walnuts (if desired)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, oat fiber, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder and salt and mix well.
2. Add in egg, butter, almond milk and vanilla and whisk well until smooth.
3. Stir in chocolate chips or walnuts, if desired.
4. Grease a small glass baking dish (I used a 6x4 oval--see text for ideas) and pour batter in.
5. Microwave on high power for two minutes. Look at the brownies once that time has elapsed to determine if they need an additional minute (mine were raw in the middle and required an extra 40 seconds).
6. Top brownies, if desired, with powdered sweetener. Enjoy.
Makes three servings. 2.75 g carbs per serving.