It’s hard to go wrong when you combine three kinds of cheese into your dinner. This easy zucchini “pasta” dish puts an emphasis on the savory flavors of sausage, cheese and tomato with hints of garlic and basil. In a word, it’s amazing.
All you need is a zucchini and a mandolin or a vegetable peeler and you’ll be good to go. I used a handheld veggie peeler and a relatively small zucchini, so my “noodles” came out thin. This dish would definitely be better with a larger zucchini since the noodles would be wider, but this still came out as all kinds of deliciousness. Large “noodles” would have warranted a less sloppy slice, but seriously, does this look great or what?!
Now I say this is a lasagna for two, but I couldn’t eat half of the dish in one sitting if I tried. This is a really hearty dish, so in all honesty, you’ll probably get three servings from it.
Zucchini Lasagna Bake for Two (or three!)
· 1 medium zucchini, peeled into “noodles”
· ¼ tsp. salt
· ¾ cup low-sugar pasta sauce (I used Mid’s pizza sauce)
· ¾ cup ricotta cheese
· 1 egg
· ½ tsp. pepper
· ¼ cup grated parmesan
· ½ cup mozzarella cheese
· 6 oz. ground Italian sausage or beef, cooked and crumbled
· 8 pepperoni slices (optional)
· Dried or fresh basil for garnish (optional)
· Preheat oven to 350.
· Lie zucchini “noodles” on a plate and sprinkle them with salt. Let sit so the salt pulls some of the moisture from the zucchini. Pat down with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
· In a small casserole dish (I used a 5 x 7 oval dish), place about one tablespoon of sauce on the bottom and sides.
· In a small bowl, combine egg, parmesan, pepper and ricotta and mix until smooth.
· Place a layer of zucchini noodles (half of noodles) on the bottom, then top with a couple tablespoons of pasta sauce. Spoon half of the ricotta over the noodles and sauce. Remember, messy is OK. J
· Next add another layer of zucchini noodles (the other half). Top with sauce and more ricotta, then more sauce. Follow by adding the crumbled sausage or beef , then another layer of sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella, and if desired, pepperoni and basil.
· Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
· Let rest for about 15 minutes then serve.
d 625 calories, 12 g carbs for one-half of the recipe
d 417 calories, 8 g carbs for one-third of the recipe