I cut my cookies with a one-inch cookie cutter (actually, it was a circle-shaped fondant color), so these were great one-bite cookies. The spicy finish of the ginger is reminiscent of the delicious treat I loved so much as little girl. Be sure to leave these cookies out at room temperature for at least an hour-- the air will crisp them up perfectly.
Gluten Free, Low Carb Ginger Snaps
-2 cups almond flour
-2 T gluten-free oat flour
-1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
-6 T softened butter
-1 T ground ginger
-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1 dash/pinch nutmeg
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 T vanilla
-1/2 cup erythritol
-10 drops liquid stevia
-1 tsp. molasses(optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, combine almond flour, gluten free oat flour, xanthan gum, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix with a fork until even throughout.
2.In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter, erythritol and stevia with electric mixer until creamy.
3. Beat in egg, vanilla and molasses, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat until evenly mixed.
4. Add in flour mixture by the half cup and continue to use an electric mixer to bring the dough together until all of the flour mixture is incorporated. The dough will be thick.
5. Turn out the dough onto a large sheet of either parchment paper or plastic wrap (I use plastic wrap). Place another piece of paper or plastic on top of the dough and press the dough down so that it is even. Roll the dough between the papers or plastic until it is about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
6. Place the dough sheet in the freezer on a flat surface for about 10 minutes to firm it up.
7. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out small circles of dough and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown around the edges.
8. Let cookies rest for about ten minutes on the cookie sheet. They will be very tender when first removed from the oven and will firm as they cool.
9. Place cookies on a cooling rack and let set for about one hour at room temperature. Serve.
Recipe yields about 60 one-inch cookies.
Serving Size = 4 cookies: 120 calories, 2.5 net carbs, 2g fiber