Another quick post just before I hit the hay. 🙂
These grain free, sugar free, gluten free lemon cookies are not super sweet and are just perfect for a healthy, refreshing snack when you’re craving something just a little sweet. I originally wanted to concoct some type of glaze to go over these, but I decided just to sprinkle them with powdered erythritol instead.
I’m going to try to come up with a way to make these cookies look a little more attractive, because their flavor really is out of this world. They look like your typical peanut butter cookie, but they deserve a lot more credit than that. If you make these, let me know how you jazzed them up, if you did.
The base of the cookie is simply almond flour, butter, eggs and an erythritol/xylitol blend (I used Swerve and Ideal). The cookie crisps up well in the air, but the inside remains cake-like, chewy and satisfying. These would be ideal with coffee or tea.
Luscious Lemon Cookies
Low Carb, Grain Free, Sugar Free
-2 1/4 cups almond flour
-1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
-1 egg + 1 egg white
-1 stick butter, softened
-1/2 cup Swerve confectionary (or powdered erythritol, plus more for sprinkling)
-1/4 cup granulated xylitol
-3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
– 2 tsp. lemon extract
-1 tsp. lemon zest
-Drop or two of sugar-free yellow food coloring (completely optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In large mixing bowl, cream together butter and erythritol/xylitol until creamy.
3. Add in egg and egg white, vanilla and lemon extracts and lemon zest and xanthan gum and beat on medium until smooth; scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Add in almond flour by the half cup until all flour is incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
5. Roll dough into one-inch (walnut sized) balls and place onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Use a fork to make criss-cross to push the cookie down.
6. Bake at 325 until just golden around edges; about 15 minutes.
7. Allow to cool. Sprinkle with powdered erythritol, if desired.
Makes about 24 cookies.
97 calories, 1 net carb, 1g fiber per cookie