I’ve already written once today, so I won’t bore you with a long story. I was craving peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and since bread isn’t really an option, I remembered my thumbprint recipe and thought I’d tweak it a bit to create a peanut butter cookie with a little of my favorite jam nestled right inside of it. The result was perfectly delicious, and of course, completely sugar, grain and gluten free. Yum! Everyone will love this great cookie.
Lunch Box Cookies (grain, sugar and gluten free)
1 cup almond flour
2 T coconut flour
4 T butter
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup Swerve granulated sweetener (or Splenda, xlylitol, Ideal, Stevia in the Raw, etc.)
Pinch of salt
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Sugar free jelly or jam of choice (I used Polaner No Sugar Added+Fiber in Raspberry)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract and sweetener. Beat on medium speed until creamed together, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
3. Add in the egg and beat on low speed until the egg is fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
4. Add in almond and coconut flours, salt and xanthan gum and beat on low until a thick dough is formed.
5. Roll the ball into teaspoon-sized balls and placed onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
6. Use your finger to create a small depression in each cookie, then fill each well with 1/4 teaspoon (approximately) of sugar-free jam.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies begin to turn just golden around the edges. Cool on the cookie sheet for five minutes, then remove cookies to a cooling rack.
This recipe makes about 18 cookies.
Nutrition per 1/18th of batch: 90 calories, 1.8 net carbs (3 total), 2 grams fiber, 9 grams fat, 3 grams protein.