Let me start off by saying wowwwwwww. Seriously. I whipped this up on a whim and I don’t think I could have asked for it to come out better. It might just be one of my favorite things on the blog thus far. It’s moist. It’s sweet but not too sweet. It’s lemony. It’s coconutty. It’s seriously as perfect as cake gets. OK. I’m done tooting my own horn now– I swear. 😉
Now let’s talk cake. Cake is quite possibly the hardest thing for me to turn down at celebrations. You see, before my wheat and sugar free days I was a very avid baker. Cupcakes, cakes, you name it. Just looking at buttercream makes me want to jump for joy. While I’ve yet to come up with an exact substitute, this cake is all kinds of awesome. It really tastes just like…cake. Yummy, delicious CAKE!
- 1/4 cup unrefined organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (the kind in the can)
- 5 eggs (no vegan substitute that I know of–sorry)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. lemon oil or lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Swerve sweetener (or granulated erythritol)
- 10 drops liquid stevia extract
- 3 T organic non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 2 T full fat coconut milk (canned)
- 1/4 cup Swerve powdered (or powdered erythritol)
- 2 T water
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated xylitol (no substitutes)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (+2 T for sprinkling)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, prepare the cake by first mixing together melted coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, lemon oil, lemon zest, salt, baking soda and stevia on low speed until smooth.
3. Mix in coconut flour and Swerve (or erythritol) on low speed for about one minute.
4. Transfer the cake mix into a greased, parchment-lined 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan (I used a circle).
5. Bake on the middle rack for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before turning the cake out onto a plate.