It’s six degrees in Cleveland right now. Yes, six degrees. It’s also snowing, so needless to say, it’s more than the perfect day for a hearty, filling casserole for lunch or dinner. This recipe was inspired by one of my Facebook friends who posted a photo of her broccoli rice casserole last night. I’d been thinking about it ever since.
If you’ve never made riced cauliflower (a great low carb, low calorie substitute for rice), it’s one of the easiest things you’ll do. You’ll just slough off the florets from a head of cauliflower, put them in a food processor and then process them until they reach a rice-like texture. After that, place them into a microwave-safe container (use a glass container if possible– putting plastic in the microwave is never a good idea) and microwave the “rice,” uncovered, for five minutes on high. That’s it– you now have “riced” cauliflower. Yummy.
I used chicken from a leftover rotisserie chicken, but you could easily dice up some plain chicken breast or even use canned chicken breast, if you’re really desperate. If you do use canned, be careful to check the ingredients for wheat-containing products or hidden carbs.
Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken and “Rice” Casserole with Bacon
- 2 cups steamed, small broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups riced cauliflower (see text for instructions; about one small head)
- 1/4 small red or yellow onion, minced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced (could sub 1/8 tsp. garlic powder)
- 5 strips bacon, fried and crumbled (reserve one tablespoon of bacon drippings)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I used shredded leftover rotisserie chicken meat)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (preferably organic and grass fed)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, full fat
- 2 T butter (preferably organic, grass fed)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 1/2 + 1/4 cup set aside)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt