Cornless “Corn” Bread
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 T coconut flour
3 T golden flaxseed meal
4 large egg whites (or 5 medium– about 1/3 cup)
3 T butter at room temperature (or palm shortening)
1/4 tsp. salt (just a tiny pinch instead if using salted butter)
3 T Swerve (or granulated sweetener of choice)
Pinch of salt (literally just a pinch)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan or guar gum
All Natural yellow food coloring (annatto or turmeric based– Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together almond and coconut flours, flaxseed meal, Swerve and baking powder with a fork.
3. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or forks. This should take a few minutes. The mixture will be mealy and lumps of butter will remain, but no large lumps should be present.
4. Beat egg whites until thick and frothy but not stiff. Fold into corn bread mixture with a rubber spatula until evenly distributed. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
5. Sprinkle in xanthan gum and mix well with spatula.
6. Grease a round cake pan (8-9 inches in diameter) well and pour the batter into the pan.
7. Bake on the middle rack for about 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool a bit then slice into wedges and serve.
Nutrition (1/6th of recipe): 210 calories, 8 g carbs, 5 g fiber (3 g net carbs), 15 g fat, 7 g protein