It’s 90 degrees here in Cleveland today, and the humidity is about 90%. Needless to say, frizzy hair and clammy skin are abundant. It’s going to be a fast post today because I’m headed out to buy water balloons with the family.
These creamy lemon bars are really good. They’re not quite as indulgent as the sugar filled variety, but for 100 calories and 2.5 g net carbs per 1/9th of recipe serving, you can’t argue. They are delightfully sweet, decadently creamy and terrifically tart. PERFECT for summer!
They’re also grain, gluten and wheat free. If you use coconut oil, they’re dairy free.
- 1 C almond flour
- 1 T coconut flour
- 1/4 C melted butter (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 3 T Swerve (or other granulated sweetener)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T coconut flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 C Swerve (or other granulated sweetener)
- 1/2 C fresh squeezed lemon juice (about two large lemons)
- 1/4 tsp. natural lemon extract (optional, boosts flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, prepare crust by mixing all ingredients together with a rubber spatula until a thick dough is formed. This will be similar in texture to cheesecake crust–crumbly.
3. Press the crust into an 8×8 of 9×9 square cake pan (I used a 9×9, but I’d use an 8×8 next time for a thicker end result). Press it evenly from corner to corner and be careful to avoid thick/thin spots; make it as even as possible.
4. Place empty crust into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust begins to turn golden brown. While you’re waiting, make the lemon filling.
4. For lemon filling, whisk together all filling ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated. The mixture will be thin.
5. Remove the crust from the oven and pour the lemon filling on top of the crust. Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until filling is firm throughout. Allow to cool for an hour before cutting. Top with powdered Swerve if desired.
Makes 9 servings.
Nutrition (1/9th of recipe): 100 calories, 3 g carbs, .5 g fiber (2.5 g net carbs), 8 g fat, 3 g protein