Quick post this morning, folks.
These tasty, hearty biscuits were inspired by my daughter, who loves biscuits with jelly. These biscuits are super easy to make and even tastier to eat. Yum!
I recommend making these in a whoopie pie pan, if you have one. If you don’t, a muffin pan will work, and if all else fails, you can make drop biscuits on a regular cookie sheet. These biscuits are perfect with just butter jelly, peanut butter, honey or cinnamon, or you can get creative and use them beneath creamed chipped beef, scrambled eggs and cheese or crustless chicken pot pie.
Easy Tender Biscuits: Low Carb, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 T cold organic butter (coconut oil or palm shortening will also work)
- 1 T Swerve (or granulated erythritol)
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan or guar gum (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (may omit if using salted butter)
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 large (or 4 medium) egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, place almond flour, Swerve and baking powder and mix well with a fork.
3. Add in cold butter and cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or pair of forks. This should take about five minutes and the mixture will look crumbly. Some tiny chunks of butter might be visible, but no large pieces should remain.
4. Beat egg whites until frothy but not stiff. I used handheld egg beaters and this worked perfectly.
5. Add beaten egg whites into the mixture and gently stir with a rubber spatula until it is well mixed.
6. Sprinkle in xanthan or guar gum and stir again with spatula. Be sure to mix this well.
7. Put the bowl in the refrigerator, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture gets nice and thick.
8. Grease a muffin pan and fill each well 3/4 full. This will fill 4-6 wells. This would also work in a whoopie pie pan. In fact, I recommend using that, if you have one. If all else fails, this will also work as a drop biscuit on a regular plan.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the tops of the biscuits turn golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before attempting to remove them. Enjoy!
Nutrition (1/6th of recipe): 165 calories, 5 g carbs, 3 g fiber (2 g net carbs), 15 g fat, 6 g protein