We’re on the brink of blueberry season, so who’s up for some blueberry preserves? I used frozen Wyman’s wild blueberries since local blueberries aren’t quite ready yet, but you can bet I’ll be making this again with fresh blueberries too. These preserves are super sweet, super delicious, and super sugar free! Oh–and did I mention super EASY?
Sugar Free, Gluten Free Easy Blueberry Preserves
2 1/2 cups wild blueberries (I used Wyman’s Wild Frozen Blueberries)
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt
2 T water
1/4 C granulated erythritol or xylitol (I used Swerve)
1. In a small bowl, combine water and xylitol/erythritol and stir until dissolved.
2. In a medium sauce pan, combine blueberries, lemon juice, salt and water-sweetener. Stir well.
3. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
4. Using a potato masher or an immersion blender (I used the immersion blender and it worked great), mush up the hot berries as they cook for a few minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low, assuring that mixture will still be simmering.
6. Allow to simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes until mixture thickens as water evaporates out.
7. Place mixture into jars and allow to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Makes one 8 oz. jar of preserves. 16 tablespoons per jar.
Nutriton (1/16th of recipe; 1 Tablespoon): 10 calories, 2.5 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 1.5 g net carbs