A friend just asked me for a fish taco recipe (I’m talking to you, Nicole!) and I remembered having an absolutely AMAZING fish taco recipe that I posted on MyFitnessPal a little over a year ago. These aren’t super low carb (11g net per taco), but they’re far from high carb.
****REDUCE THE CARBS!***** You can drastically decrease the carbs when you ditch the black beans and trade in a corn tortilla for Fast Days, Healing Days psylli wraps. If you remove the beans and sub Sooze Gibbs’ psylli wraps, you’ll bring this baby down to a more reasonable 4g net carbs per fish taco! Now THAT’S what I’m talkin’ about!
I’d say at that carb count, they’re a reasonable indulgence, considering their amazing flavor and awesome nutritional punch. I thought I’d post them because they’re wheat free, gluten free and absolutely delicious!
These fish tacos are served on soft corn tortillas. Again, not the ideal low carb food, but definitely a better choice than flour or many of the other gluten free grains, many of which contain more carbs than wheat anyway.
A creamy yogurt sauce really sets this recipe apart. The simplicity of the recipe and its flavor combinations make this recipe a real keeper, especially if you’re entertaining guests. You’ll have lots of yogurt sauce leftover, so you can use it on eggs, in salads or on some in-bowl burritos, if you like.
Fantastically Fabulous Grilled Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 lb. boneless tilapia fillets (or white fish of your choice)
- 8 Soft corn tortillas (to lower carb content or for grain free, use these psylli wraps instead!)
- 6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 mango, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 med. red bell pepper, diced
- 12 thick slices cucumber, diced
- 1/4 sm. head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. olive or grapeseed oil
- 1/4 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 can black beans, cooked, rinsed (optional– leave out for lower carbs)
1. Combine diced mango, garlic, onion, cucumber and red pepper with apple cider vinegar and grapeseed or olive oil. Add in about 2/3 cup chopped cilantro, juice of one lime and a dash of salt. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Salt fish fillets lightly and dust with ancho chili powder. Grill or sautee fish until browned at edges and no longer translucent. While you’re cooking this, prepare the yogurt sauce.
3. For yogurt sauce, in a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt (stirred), juice of half a lime, a handful of chopped cilantro and a pinch of salt. Add in a few teaspoons of water to thin the sauce so it’s spoonable. Set aside.
4. Warm corn tortillas in microwave if you wish. Cut tilapia into chunks and place onto tortilla, topping with yogurt sauce and salsa, then adding cabbage, black beans and avocado to your liking. Squeeze more lime juice right into the taco if you like.
5. Pinch yourself. You’re not in Mexico. 😉
Nutrition (approximate; about 2.5 oz. fish per taco): 150 calories, 13 g carb, 2 g fiber (11 g net carb), 4 g fat, 15 g protein