My husband absolutely LOVED this cake. I wanted to do a banana flavor, but I didn't have any banana extract on hand and I didn't want all the carbs from real bananas. The lemon flavor is subtle and sweet and the frosting is absolutely to die for. While the cake is dairy free, the frosting isn't. If you wanted to do a dairy free frosting, I'd recommend whipping up some coconut creme with sweetener and lemon juice.
As is, this recipe is VERY low carb. 4g net carbs per serving, to be exact. Yummy!
Lovely Lemon Cake
- 1 C almond flour
- 2 T arrowroot powder
- 2 T coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 C Swerve (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1/2 C melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 T lemon juice (or 3/4 tsp. lemon extract)
- 1 T grated lemon rind (omit if using lemon extract)
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8x8 or 9x9 square cake pan (a round pan will work too).
2. In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, eggs, Swerve, baking powder, lemon juice, lemon rind, vanilla and eggs. Beat on high speed until smooth.
3. Add in flours and arrow root and beat on low speed until smooth.
4. Pour batter into cake pan and smooth out with a spoon or scraper (it'll be thick).
5. Bake on middle rack until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (about 15-17 minutes).
6. Allow cake to cool completely, then frost.
4 T neufchatel cheese
1/2 C or equivalent sweetener of choice (a liquid sweetener or easily dissolvable sweetener is preferred)
5 T heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. lemon extract OR 2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T water (omit if using lemon juice)
1. In a medium bowl, beat neufchatel cheese on high speed until smooth and creamy.
2. In a small separate bowl, combine sweetener and lemon juice or water and lemon extract. Mix until it's completely dissolved (I used Ideal sweetener as it dissolves readily even in small amounts of liquid).
3. Pour lemon/sweetener mixture into the neufchatel cheese and beat until creamy. It'll be thin.
4. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
5. Put whipped cream into the lemon-neufchatel mixture and beat lightly until a smooth frosting is formed.
6. Frost your cooled cake and enjoy.
Makes 9 servings.
NUTRITION (1/9th of recipe): 245 calories, 6 g carbs, 2 g fiber (4 g net carbs), 23 g fat, 4 g protein