I was watching The Chew today and Carla made a raspberry buckle. Of course, it got me thinking of buckles and their warm deliciousness. Thus today’s recipe. Also–ahem–I LOVE The Chew! 🙂
This grain free, gluten free, sugar free treat is perfect for the whole family. It’s also good for pot lucks or any other time you might want to share a treat.
Triple Berry Buckle
- 1 1/2 C almond flour (plus extra for crumble, if desired)
- 1/3 C coconut flour
- 2 T arrowroot starch
- 2/3 C sweetener (I used Truvia)
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 C almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1 1/2 C frozen berries (I used a blackberry, blueberry, raspberry mix), pureed (& slightly thawed)
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8×10 or 9×9 (just a small one) cake pan or baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot, sweetener, vanilla, salt, baking powder and cinnamon until well mixed.
3. Add in eggs, coconut oil and almond milk. Beat on low speed for about a minute until smooth.
4. Spoon a third of the batter into the baking dish, then evenly distribute a third of the pureed berries. Use a spoon to swirl the fruit around.
5. Repeat the batter and fruit puree step twice more to create three layers of berry-batter.
6. Top the buckle with a few tablespoons of almond flour and drizzle with melted butter.
7. Bake on the middle rack for 30-40 minutes or until the buckle is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Allow buckle to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Makes 9 nicely sized servings.
NUTRITION (1/9th of recipe): 215 calories, 11 g carbs, 5 g fiber (6 g net carbs), 17 g fat, 7 g protein