OK, so it’s a week before Thanksgiving. I wanted so badly to create a grain free dressing because, well, let’s face it– stuffing is pretty much the best part of Thanksgiving dinner, except the crispy turkey skin!
|Grilled chicken breast with mashed cauliflower, grain free dressing and gluten free gravy.|
This grain free turkey dressing uses a variation of my tender biscuits recipe as the base. I wanted to reinforce the recipe a bit to make it stand up better to moisture and give it a richer texture. I think I was pretty successful in doing so. However, in a pinch, you could just use the traditional biscuit recipe baked in a square cake pan.
|Fresh from the oven.|
The texture of this dressing wasn’t as firm as I would have liked, but overall, it was delicious. The flavor was absolutely spot on. If you can use stock from an actual cooked turkey or chicken (I used canned), it would be that much better. As another variation, you could also add sage sausage as so many recipes call for it anyway. Yummy!
Savory Turkey Dressing
- 1 1/2 C almond flour, sifted
- 2 T whey protein powder, unflavored
- 1 T coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for “bread”)
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1/2 T butter, cold and cubed
- 4 egg whites, beaten until light and frothy
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning (or 1/3 tsp. each dried thyme, sage, rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt (for seasoning)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 T butter, melted
- 3/4 C turkey (or chicken) stock