Do you ever miss Chinese food? Satisfy your desires with this delicious dish. It features traditional Asian flavors and a spiciness level that is customizable (if you’re like me, you like it spicy!).
The zucchini noodles give the taste, texture and illusion of noodles with next to no carbs, too. It’s a dish your whole family will love!
Top it off with slivered almonds or toasted sesame seeds for a little bit of added crunch. Enjoy!
Spicy Chicken Stir Fry with Zoodles and Peanut Sauce
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 C chopped broccoli, frozen or fresh (about 12 oz.)
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
½ medium red onion, diced
2 medium zucchini, spiraled (or cut into “noodles” with a vegetable peeler)
3 T avocado or coconut oil
1 T sesame oil
3 T natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
¼ C organic soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 T freshly squeezed orange juice (optional)
¼ tsp. garlic powder (or ½ T fresh chopped garlic)
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
¼ C water
2-3 T toasted sesame seeds or slivered almonds (optional; for garnish)
1. In a large skillet, mix garlic, onions and coconut or avocado oil. Sautee chicken in this mixture until chicken is browned on all sides and onions are translucent.
2. Add broccoli, red bell pepper, cayenne or red pepper flakes and half the water into the pan.
3. Stir fry the ingredients in step 2 over medium-high heat for seven to ten minutes or until broccoli begins to turn a vibrant shade of green. Continuously stir the mixture.
4. Add sesame oil, peanut butter, orange juice, soy sauce or coconut aminos and rest of water into the mixture. Stir well and reduce heat to low-medium until the sauce begins to simmer lightly.
5. Continue to cook until chicken is cooked through; about five more minutes. Remove mixture from heat.
6. In a microwave safe container, microwave zucchini noodles on high in between two paper towels for about two minutes. This will get rid of some of the extra moisture. (THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL.)
7. Add “zoodles” to the chicken and vegetable mixture and stir well, coating the zoodles in sauce and mixing them throughout the dish.
8. Serve stir fry topped with toasted sesame seeds or slivered almonds for extra crunch, if desired.