Happy 2014, everyone! I thought I’d post the recipe I’d briefly spoken about on my blog that some of you asked about. This is not my recipe; it’s just been floating around the web for what seems like forever. It’s delicious and fool proof.
I have modified the recipe slightly, as the original recipe called for only sausage, peppers, and cream cheese. Some people wrap the peppers in bacon, and some use a different type of pepper.
These are traditionally prepared in halved jalapeños. They really are the perfect size and boat shape for this application. If you seed them fully and rinse them well, they aren’t very spicy, either. However, nearly any pepper that is long will suffice–cubanelles, Hungarians, mild sweets, etc.
Sorry about the photo: this was not intended to be a blog post, but hey, it looks pretty delicious nonetheless, right? 🙂
Sausage and Cream Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers
- 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) mild or spicy sausage, not in casing (breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, chorizo, etc.)
- 4 oz. (1/2 brick) cream cheese, softened
- 1 C shredded parmesan, romano or asiago cheese (not grated)
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped (can substitute bacon bits) (optional)
- 12 jalapeño peppers, halved and de-seeded (or your choice of peppers)