I've been craving cookies lately, and I realized that it has been awhile since I made any for the blog. I spent a good half hour on Pinterest searching for inspiration and finally decided on a chocolate coconut flavor combination. Wanting to add an additional element, I decided some sugar free caramel would be a good choice. If you don't like coconut, that could be omitted from these cookies.
The shortbread crusts of these cookies are amazing. The texture is every so slightly chewy and dense, and the flavor is mellow enough to allow the toppings to take center stage. Oh, and the caramel-- these low carb cookies are made with a stovetop cream caramel that firms up nicely at room temperature. All in all, this is easily one of my favorite cookie recipes I've ever made. Hands down.
Chocolate Caramel Coconut Cookies
- 3/4 C almond flour
- 1/4 C oat fiber (or 3 T coconut flour)
- 2 T melted butter
- 2 T almond milk
- 1 T melted coconut oil
- 3 T Swerve (or your choice of sweetener)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C Swerve (or your choice of sweetener)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 T heavy whipping cream
- 1 T butter
- 3 T water
- 1/2 C sugar free chocolate chips or melting chocolate
- 1 tsp. vegan palm shortening (or coconut oil)
- 2/3 C shredded unsweetened coconut, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, prepare the shortbread base by whisking together almond flour, oat fiber, sweetener, salt and xanthan gum.
3. Add in liquid ingredients (egg, butter, coconut oil, almond milk) and mix well until a thick dough is formed.
4. Drop shortbread onto a lined cookie sheet one tablespoon at a time, two inches apart. Flatten each shortbread to 1/3-1/2 inch thick and bake on the middle rack for 10-14 minutes or until the outer edges are just starting to turn golden. Remove to a cooling rack to cool.
5. Prepare the caramel by mixing all caramel ingredients except the butter in a medium saucepan. Mix well and heat over medium heat until boiling.
6. Add in butter and stir well. Allow mixture to melt completely (stir frequently) and boil over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until mixture starts to significantly thicken. Once thick, remove from heat and set aside.
7. Spoon caramel over the cooled shortbreads, then top with toasted coconut. Add a bit more caramel if desired then top with more coconut.
8. Once cookies are topped, melt shortening and chocolate chips in the microwave in a small bowl for 30 seconds. Stir well and continue to microwave in 10 second intervals until chocolate chips are melted.
9. Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate and allow the chocolate and caramel to set up until firm. Enjoy!
Makes 10 cookies. 3g net carbs each.